About The LT Engine Family
The General Motors Gen V LT and EcoTec3 engines are part of the fifth generation of small-block V6 and V8 engines produced by General Motors. These engines were introduced in 2014 and are used in various GM vehicles, including trucks, SUVs, and performance cars. The Gen V engines are known for their advanced technologies, improved efficiency, and increased power output compared to their predecessors. Howell EFI is a leader in building the wiring harnesses and accessories to allow customers to easily swap a modern LT or EcoTec3 Engine into almost any car or truck.
Key Features and Technologies:
- Direct Injection (DI): One of the notable advancements in the Gen V engines is the integration of direct fuel injection. This technology improves fuel efficiency and combustion control by injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber.
- Variable Valve Timing (VVT): These engines feature advanced variable valve timing systems that optimize valve opening and closing times for improved performance and efficiency across different engine speeds and loads.
- Active Fuel Management (AFM): Some versions of the Gen V engines come equipped with AFM, which deactivates cylinders during light-load conditions to conserve fuel. This system enhances fuel economy by operating as a V4 engine when less power is required.
- EcoTec3 and LT Designations: General Motors uses the “EcoTec3” designation for their V6 engines and the “LT” designation for their V8 engines within the Gen V lineup.
- Aluminum Construction: These engines utilize lightweight aluminum construction for the block and heads, contributing to better power-to-weight ratios and improved overall efficiency.
- Active Thermal Management: The engines feature an advanced cooling system that allows for more precise temperature control, enhancing both performance and efficiency.
- Direct Mount Accessories: The Gen V engines incorporate direct mounting of various accessories, which reduces vibrations and improves overall engine packaging.
- High Compression Ratios: Some versions of these engines have high compression ratios, further enhancing combustion efficiency and power output.
Here are some of the RPO (Regular Production Option) codes associated with the Gen V LT and EcoTec3 engines:
- L83: 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, found in trucks and SUVs.
- LV3: 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 engine, used in trucks and SUVs.
- L86: 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, often used in higher-trim trucks and SUVs.
- LT1: 6.2L LT V8 engine, used in performance cars like the Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette.
- LT4: 6.2L supercharged LT V8 engine, used in high-performance applications like the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Camaro ZL1.
- L8T: 6.6L V8 engine, often used in heavy-duty trucks.
- LT5: 6.2L supercharged LT V8 engine, used in the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.
Please note that the availability of these engines and their associated RPO codes might vary depending on the model year and specific vehicle applications.
Overall, the Gen V LT and EcoTec3 engines represent a significant leap forward in terms of technology, efficiency, and performance for General Motors vehicles. These engines have played a crucial role in powering a wide range of GM vehicles across various market segments.
GM LT1/LT4 Products 2014+
General Motors LT1/LT4 Products (2014+)